philwoods.com

Welcome to the philwoods.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   philwoods.com > Jazz Discussion Forums > Open Mic

Open Mic General Discussions

Old 08-20-2010   #1
Phil

Default NEA Travesty

Recently sent to NEA

To whom it may concern,

I was absolutely thrilled when I was named a 2007 NEA Jazz Master. Just to be considered with musicians like Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk and Dave Brubeck was beyond my wildest dreams as a young musician coming up through the ranks. But to quote an old standard "The Thrill Is Gone.” I can understand your reluctance to award the NEA Jazz Masters award posthumously; what I can't understand is your naming a whole family as Jazz Masters. It makes no sense musically and as good as the Marsalis family may be, in my mind they are not the equals of the aforementioned giants. I think you have set a ridiculous precedent.
What I find most disturbing is the new Marsalis Family CD (the release date is Aug 24 - ads are already running in the jazz magazines) with the profits going to the “Ellis Marsalis Center for Music.” This smacks of exploiting the NEA to maximize profit. I’m sure it is a worthy cause but find it troublesome. I have been the recipient of NEA largesse when they underwrote our production of my Children’s Suite in New Orleans earlier this year but this was a one-time event that was largely ignored in The Big Easy. As a matter of fact I used a good portion of my $25,000 honorarium to record a CD and DVD as well as present the Suite at our annual Celebration of the Arts (COTA) Jazz Festival.

So as a matter of protest I will not be attending any further NEA Jazz Master events. You have tarnished the value of what was once considered one of America’s greatest symbols of achievement in jazz.
Phil Woods
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010   #2
scooby
Platinum Quill

Default Amen!

You tell 'em, Phil!

-Scooby

http://scooby-sax.com
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #3
Ping
Gold Quill

http://bebopified.blogspot.com/2010/...announced.html
Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #4
urbie
Gold Quill

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented By Dunkin' Donuts

I've already told my Delfeayo Marsalis story -- and sworn that I would stop rehashing my fleeting brush with greatness -- so I'll refrain from repeating it. But truly, the mind boggles at such an award.

Urb
Old 08-25-2010   #5
martynau
Platinum Quill

Send a message via AIM to martynau

Phil, you have my full support on this.

Marty
martynau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #6
Bird-dog
Silver Quill

Phil, please post the NEA's response to your letter, if they provide one. Also, perhaps you should post your letter on your home page to to give it more visibility.
Bird-dog is offline   Reply With Quote