philwoods.com

Welcome to the philwoods.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   philwoods.com > Jazz Discussion Forums > Discography

Discography A place to discuss the recorded works of Phil Woods

Old 03-16-2006   #1
TMadness1013

Send a message via AIM to TMadness1013
Default Blue Caprice by Victor Morosco

Victor Morosco's unaccompanied work for alto saxophone entitled Blue Caprice is dedicated to Phil Woods. I was curious if Phil has recorded/performed this work.

If so - does anyone have anymore details for me? Thanks

TMadness1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2006   #2
Jill
Gold Quill

Default Vic Morosco Piece

I believe this piece is a "classical" piece and as far as I know, Phil has never played it. I'm sure it is dedicated to Phil because he and Vic are friends and perhaps some of it was inspired by Phil's playing. Phil wrote a piece for Vic a long time ago. See the posting in Open Mic about Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano. Jill
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #3
amichlin

Default Blue Caprice

Victor was in the process of recording Phil's Sonata for Alto Saxophone and a piece commisioned from Joe Roccisano and decided he needed a piece to end the album (Double Exposure), thus was born Blue Caprice. It is hard to classify as either a classical or jazz piece, the piece is build around variations on the blues which range from pure classical to hard bop to avant garde whatever name one chooses. It specifically does not involve improvisation, unlike various versions of Phil's Sonata. Jazz.. classical.. a rose by any other name in both cases.

Phil's Sonata was dedicated to and premiered by Victor (for a bit of history see http://www.morsax.com/carn.html) and Victor, in turn, dedicated Blue Caprice to Phil. They have been friends since the days of Juilliard.

Phil has never performed Blue Caprice to my knowledge. The original recording of Blue Caprice by Victor was recently released on CD (with Phil's Sonata, first published Kendor edition) and Ken Tse also has a nice interpretation currently available on CD.

-Adam
Former Assistant to Victor Morosco
amichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #4
Jill
Gold Quill

Thumbs up Blue Caprice

Dear Adam,

Thanks for the details on "Blue Caprice." We really appreciate getting the correct information here.

Jill
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote